After the April 2018 Windows Update, some users complained about the VPN Error 812. Unlike many other errors, the VPN Error 812 is not very common.
It is possible that this error has something to do with problems between clients and the Net Promoter Score (NPS). Even if this is an uncommon problem, there is a simple way to get it resolved. So don’t be alarmed if you experience it.
In this article, we will show you some useful fixes for VPN Error 812.
When you get Error 812, you will see a message telling you the following:
“The connection was prevented because of a policy configured on your RAS/VPN server. Specifically, the authentication method used by the server to verify your username and password may not match the authentication method configured in your connection profile. Please contact the Administrator of the RAS server and notify them of this error.”
The error basically prevents you from reestablishing a connection to the VPN, after it has been disconnected. As the message clearly indicates, the error is related to the RSA/VPN server.
Before you try anything else, it’s possible to resolve the problem by restarting the RRAS serve. Alternatively, wait about one hour and reconnect your VPN.
Why does Error 812 appear on Windows 10?
Error 812 is a technical issues that is caused by the server side. Let’s go through the possible reasons this error happens:
- If the Authentication protocol is selected via NPS (Network Policy & Access Services).
- The RRAS based VPN server is configured in a different way than the VPN client system.
- Or the error code may appear when the value added has not been updated to ‘Tunnel Type’ Condition in the Network Policy. In this case, when the user tries to connect to their VPN client, the Tunnel Type only has a ‘PPTP’ value, causing the Error 812 to show up.
- In most cases, the reason is that MS-CHAP is no longer available in Windows Vista and later versions of the operating system. Thus, Error 812 takes place when the authentication protocol of the VPN server is set to “MS-CHAP” and you are using Windows Vista and above to access the client.
Regardless of the reason, don’t worry, because there are simple steps that you can follow to get it resolved. The process is not complicated and it will help you to get rid of the error in a couple of minutes.
Method 1: Set up the External DNS
You’ll very quickly get past the error, if you are willing to access your VPN settings.
1) Type in ncpa.cpl into the Windows search box and press Enter.
2) You will see the network connections. Right click on the VPN connection that you are using and click on Properties.
3) Change the Primary DNS to Domain Controller.
2) Set up the External DNS by accessing the Secondary DNS.
3) Modify the range of the Primary DNS to 188.8.131.52. Save the settings, then restart your VPN.
The VPN Connection Error 812 should go away now. However, if you are still coming across it, you are advised to contact your VPN service provider. As mentioned before, the issue is on the server side.
Method 2: Check the Tunnel Type Settings
If the first solution does not work for you, you can try the following steps:
1) Select additional value to “Tunnel type” Condition, like “L2TP” to obtain value “L2TP OR PPTP”
2) Click Apply, then close the Network Policy.
3) Try connecting the VPN client.
4) Revert the Network Policy to the good value for “Tunnel type” Condition, here it is “PPTP” only.
5) Apply and close the Network Policy.
6) Connect your VPN client. The steps should have set your Network Policy, ensuring that the VPN client functions properly.
Method 3: Contact your Network Administrator
It is possible that Error 812 is showing up because you don’t have enough access rights.
If this is the case, the best solution would be to contact your network administrator. Ask them to update your permissions. You have to make sure that all protocol and network authentication permissions are accurate.
Method 4: Contacting your VPN Provider
In case the previous solution still does not fix the problem, you should try contacting your VPN service provider. They most likely understand the issue and have a handy solution for it.