jv16 PowerTools Update - Build 1216 Released - System Cleaner freeze bug fixed

Discussion relating to the current version of jv16 PowerTools.
jv16
Developer

jv16 PowerTools Update - Build 1216 Released - System Cleaner freeze bug fixed

Post by jv16 »

I'm happy to announce a new jv16 PowerTools update. The version is 6.1.1.1216 and it can be downloaded from here:

https://jv16powertools.com/downloads/jv16pt_setup.exe

This is a minor update, only fixing a few bugs. However, the bugs that are now fixed are quite substantial to the users who have been affected by them.

This release addresses three bugs that have been in jv16 PowerTools for a long time - and I do apologize for that! It took us a long time to fix these issues, because they were not generic issues (i.e. they do not always happen in every system). Finding ways to reproduce the issues took us a very long time and like I said, I am sorry about that. But, I thank you for your patience and I am happy to announce these issues are now fixed:

1) Performing a full system cleanup with the System Cleaner can take a very long time, with the progress indicator seemingly stuck at 90% or at 99% in some systems. By this I mean the actual cleaning with the "Clean and Fix All" button click, not the scan only.

2) System Cleaner does not always find all the possible temporary files for removal. This bug is even more apparent if the "Do not list temporary files which could be dangerous to remove" safety feature in Settings has been turned off. Due to this fix, this version may find a lot of temporary files previously not detected. This is normal and nothing to worry about, but as always, you should manually review the results before removing anything.

3) If you do a full system cleaning with System Cleaner, and then run the scan again, it can still show more items to clean. This can repeat for many times, if not forever. It is normal that if you run the System Cleaner immediately after you just cleaned everything that something might be found, because cleaning data may cause other data to become obsolete. But this should not go on for multiple scans after each other. But it did, and this issue is now also fixed.

How To Update: Download the new version and install it over any 6.x version of jv16 PowerTools. No uninstallation of the old version required. If you have 5.x or older version of jv16 PowerTools, or you are unsure of your version, you should uninstall the old version before installing the new version. If you are running a licensed copy of the product, please note the name and email address from My Account before uninstallation, and enter the same name and email address to new version's My Account after installation to keep your licensed version status.

jv16 PowerTools Change Log Since b1203

1) Fix: Performing a full system cleanup with the System Cleaner can take a very long time, with the progress indicator seemingly stuck at 90% or at 99% in some systems.
2) Fix: System Cleaner does not always find all the possible temporary files for removal.
3) Fix: If you do a full system cleaning with System Cleaner, and then run the scan again, it can still show more items to clean. This can repeat for many times, if not forever.
4) Fix: System Cleaner can fail to detect some broken shortcuts.
5) Fix: Some parts of the Settings window UI are not rendered correctly in all screen resolutions and application window sizes making some texts of check boxes invisible.
6) Fix: The Check For Updates screen can display a blank screen on some systems.
7) Fix: If you abort a system cleaning session, the checkbox about restarting computer remains visible on screen for a few seconds while the progress screen should only contain information that the operation was aborted. This is a cosmetic issue, but fixed now nevertheless.
8) Fix: In some systems, starting the app or running the Initial Setup could cause Windows to display error message saying "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer".
9) Fix: When a message box is shown, it will by default display the blinking text caret (cursor). It can look a bit confusing as to why there is one. It's now fixed. You can still place the caret there by clicking the message box text with your mouse cursor and select text for Ctrl + C.
10) Fix: Running jv16 PowerTools on a screen with a very small resolution (e.g. 800x600 px), the navigation panel can be drawn without any content (no icons) and no texts.

Improvements:
1) The scanning and cleaning speed of System Cleaner is now a lot faster.
2) The program is now compatible with the upcoming Windows 11.
3) Improved the Software Uninstaller's ability to find and delete left-over data.
4) The setup executable now also has the executable file information fields set, such as file comments.
5) Reduced the size of log files created during System Cleaner usage.
6) Added "Check For Updates" also to the Tools menu of the main window. Previously, it was only under the Help menu.
7) Comes with updated Dutch, Polish, Russian and Swedish translations.
fowlers
New user

Re: jv16 PowerTools Update - Build 1216 Released - System Cleaner freeze bug fixed

Post by fowlers »

Well sort of....
With the previous 1203 release I was presented with a blank screen after the list flashed by. When I tried it after I upgraded to 1216 it just crashed after taking more than a hour to try and digest what it found. I believe the issue is that it couldn't handle the number of registry and files it found (see my post in the 1203 release conversation.) To get around this I manually went through and deleted what I could out of the profile temp and windows temp directories. Then I used a competing product to find and dump some additional files. Once that was complete I was able to run System Cleaner and have it report out what it found without crashing. Although it took a considerable (almost an hour) time to finally give me back the final results. So, you may want to look into either being able to handle a system with considerable issues or create a sub-menu to allow just dealing with registry or just files rather than trying to do it all in one shot.
CSGalloway
Senior user

Re: jv16 PowerTools Update - Build 1216 Released - System Cleaner freeze bug fixed

Post by CSGalloway »

fowlers wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:35 pm Well sort of....
With the previous 1203 release I was presented with a blank screen after the list flashed by. When I tried it after I upgraded to 1216 it just crashed after taking more than a hour to try and digest what it found. I believe the issue is that it couldn't handle the number of registry and files it found (see my post in the 1203 release conversation.) To get around this I manually went through and deleted what I could out of the profile temp and windows temp directories. Then I used a competing product to find and dump some additional files. Once that was complete I was able to run System Cleaner and have it report out what it found without crashing. Although it took a considerable (almost an hour) time to finally give me back the final results. So, you may want to look into either being able to handle a system with considerable issues or create a sub-menu to allow just dealing with registry or just files rather than trying to do it all in one shot.
did you remove the previous version before installing 1216?
Let there be peace on Earth, and Good will towards Men
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

fowlers wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:35 pm Well sort of....
Sorry to hear about this. Could you be a bit more specific as to how much errors or other items it did find after you were able to run it? Also, for your information: You can use the Settings screen to turn on and off different modules of the System Cleaner, so you can already run it for example to just find all the temporary data, or just find registry errors etc.

Also, your message is not entirely clear as to are you reporting the scan of System Cleaner taking a very long time to complete, or the actual cleaning of the results taking a very long time to complete? It sounds like you are referring to the scan and not cleaning, but I'm not sure, and I would not like to make such a major assumption.
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

FYI: We have received report with Debug Data showing the System Cleaner scan taking unusually long time to run. We are currently investigating the problem and I am very confident we will be able to fix this. So, if you are experiencing a problem of the System Cleaner scan taking too long, please have patience, we ought to have a fix for this soon.
Griffy
New user

Post by Griffy »

Nice work guys, best results I've gotten so far with 6.1.x. Picked up all appropriate temp files in the system temp dir finally :)

Did a good job on the registry overall. Ran a second time to see if any other issue popped up, but none. It runs very fast on my system.

I ran jv16 X registry cleaner afterwards which found 2 additional ActiveX/COM issues. CCleaner also picked up those same 2.

jv16 X detected .tmp files in the C:\Windows\Installer dir, these did not appear in the 6.1.x results.

Sorry for the delayed feedback, been on the road the last 5 weeks....
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

Thank you for the feedback and very happy to hear you like the new version!

I have very exciting news: We have been working extra hard again. There has been some nice bug fixes, speed improvements but the main focus of the next version update is going to be on improving the user interface and the user experience in general. We don't do "bells and whistles", but we want jv16 PowerTools to look visually pleasing and show you information that you want to see. That is exactly what we are doing and the progress has been very good. We should have a version ready to be released later in this month, and I promise you, you will like it. It is a major step forward in all the ways possible.
siliconman01
Expert user

Post by siliconman01 »

I hope you are on track to release the new version very soon. My Start Menu issue is quite annoying. :o
Platinum VIP License. A clean machine is a screaming machine! Windows 10 x64 Professional on Home-built ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Extreme; Dell XPS 15 9575 2in1 laptop/tablet
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

siliconman01 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:07 am I hope you are on track to release the new version very soon. My Start Menu issue is quite annoying. :o
We are doing the final testing and fine tuning right now. If all goes well, a release should be happening next week. And it's a major one!
Olyfant22
New user

Post by Olyfant22 »

I would like to report a bug (or at least it seems like a bug!?). :shock: :roll:

If I startup jv16PowerTools it seems to 'remember' the last window position.
So for instance, if I have closed the app 'full screen' then it will open at the next startup in 'full screen' modus.
The same happens if I close the app in a smaller window modus, it will open with the same smaller window modus.

Okay.... now the stranges thing happens when I change the window modus from 'full screen' to a smaller one AND visa versa!
The control button that facilitates those window modi changes to a white square when I click on it AND it is not clickable again!??
So I can not switch back again. :o

I have some screenshots below.
- Large_control.jpg is from 'full screen' modus;
- Small_control.jpg is from a smaller window modus;
- Blank_control.jpg is the changed (white!) control button (after I have clcked once).
Attachments
Large_control.jpg
Large_control.jpg (3.64 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Small_control.jpg
Small_control.jpg (3.96 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Blank_control.jpg
Blank_control.jpg (3.95 KiB) Viewed 412 times
jv16 PT Personal License Platinum VIP (5) on Windows 10 Pro v21H1 (64-bit) x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 [email protected] | Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 6GB | RAM 16GB
redseujac
Super Guru

Post by redseujac »

Olyfant22 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:08 pm I would like to report a bug (or at least it seems like a bug!?). :shock: :roll:

If I startup jv16PowerTools it seems to 'remember' the last window position.
So for instance, if I have closed the app 'full screen' then it will open at the next startup in 'full screen' modus.
The same happens if I close the app in a smaller window modus, it will open with the same smaller window modus.

Okay.... now the stranges thing happens when I change the window modus from 'full screen' to a smaller one AND visa versa!
The control button that facilitates those window modi changes to a white square when I click on it AND it is not clickable again!??
So I can not switch back again. :o
Confirmed here :(
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X - Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512 GB - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1080 - Windows 10 Pro (x64) v21H1 - jv16 PT Platinum VIP - Dutch translator jv16 PT - Forum moderator
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

The new version is now released as a public beta version. This is such a major update, we would like to ask for your feedback before we do an official release: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6208&p=37939#p37939