Major New Version: jv16 PowerTools 7.5 (build 1463) released!

Discussion relating to the current version of jv16 PowerTools.
jv16
Developer

Re: Major New Version: jv16 PowerTools 7.5 (build 1463) released!

Post by jv16 »

redseujac wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:06 pm = System Cleaner =
- in results list: in column "found problems" left-over software category items listed while such category is not listed in the column "problem categories".
- All items in Found problems list continue flickering
These two issues are now confirmed and fixed, thank you very much for reporting!
Dustyn
New user

Post by Dustyn »

Dustyn wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:11 pm Hi again,

Thanks. That explains why I don't see it. The option is not present.
This is a FRESH Windows 11 install and jv16 PowerTools was never installed before, yet I don't have that option?
I am running Windows 11 22H2 22621.232 Release Preview.
Tried a full uninstall (which removed the right click desktop menu), rebooted and reinstalled. The option in jv16 PowerTools under system to disable the context menu is not present, yet it installs to my desktop menu anyways by default during install with no option to remove it. :?
Untitled.png
Sincerely,
Dustyn

EDIT: Is there a way to "manually" remove the menu since the control command isn't displaying?
I'm assuming this is because I'm using a Preview Release of Windows 11 and not technically supported by Macecraft?
Now at Windows 11 22H2 RP 22621.317.
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

This is a FRESH Windows 11 install and jv16 PowerTools was never installed before, yet I don't have that option?
Tried a full uninstall (which removed the right click desktop menu), rebooted and reinstalled. The option in jv16 PowerTools under system to disable the context menu is not present, yet it installs to my desktop menu anyways by default during install with no option to remove it. :?
Untitled.png
Sincerely,
Dustyn

EDIT: Is there a way to "manually" remove the menu since the control command isn't displaying?
This is indeed a bug! I have now been able to reproduce the bug and I will fix this issue for the next version.

To manually remove the jv16 PowerTools Right-Click menu, please run the .reg file from:
https://jv16powertools.com/downloads/sp ... p_menu.zip

Or, open RegEdit.exe, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\shell\ and delete the "jv16PowerTools" key.

Thank you for reporting this!

Edit: This is now fixed. The fix will be included in the next released version. Thanks again!
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

Dustyn wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:44 pm

Untitled.png
Sincerely,
Dustyn

I'm assuming this is because I'm using a Preview Release of Windows 11 and not technically supported by Macecraft?
Now at Windows 11 22H2 RP 22621.317.
The issue is relating to Windows 11 in a way that it only occurs in it, but we officially support all Windows 11 versions, so that's not the root cause of the issue. The root cause is that there was a bug in jv16 PowerTools. Sorry about that! :oops:

The issue is already fixed and the fix will be included to the next released version.
Dustyn
New user

Post by Dustyn »

jv16 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:20 am This is indeed a bug! I have now been able to reproduce the bug and I will fix this issue for the next version.

To manually remove the jv16 PowerTools Right-Click menu, please run the .reg file from:
https://jv16powertools.com/downloads/sp ... p_menu.zip

Or, open RegEdit.exe, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\shell\ and delete the "jv16PowerTools" key.

Thank you for reporting this!

Edit: This is now fixed. The fix will be included in the next released version. Thanks again!
Thank you so much for looking into this! :D
Extremely grateful that you were able to reproduce the issue along with providing an interim fix!
Again, thank you kindly! :)
Dustyn
New user

Post by Dustyn »

jv16 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:34 am The issue is relating to Windows 11 in a way that it only occurs in it, but we officially support all Windows 11 versions, so that's not the root cause of the issue. The root cause is that there was a bug in jv16 PowerTools. Sorry about that! :oops:

The issue is already fixed and the fix will be included to the next released version.
Excellent! :D
And no worries at all, grateful to you for such a speedy and prompt resolution.
Cheers!
dearnold
New user

Post by dearnold »

I made a number of changes to my system (PC running Win 10 Pro) and opened jv16 PowerTools 7.5 - it initialized for the changes and opened the home page.
I noticed a large chunk of the C drive (OS & programs) was audio files.

So, how to use Finder or Quick Finder to search only the C drive for files with the following extensions:
.mp4
.flac
.m4a
.wav
.wma
.aac

I may have missed a few extensions, but this should catch most.
But, I couldn't figure out how to limit the search to just the C drive and to just audio files.
There must be an easy way - Finder slogged through all attached drives and gave me a long list.
If you can show me a bar graph of space used on, say, drive C:\ by System files, Apps, Image files, Audio files, Video files, Documents, and Other Files, I surely should be able to search for a list of those files by category.

I will appreciate direction, instructions, etc on how to use Finder/Quick Finder or ?? to do this.
Dianne
long-time jv16 Power Tools user
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

dearnold wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:24 am I made a number of changes to my system (PC running Win 10 Pro) and opened jv16 PowerTools 7.5 - it initialized for the changes and opened the home page.
I noticed a large chunk of the C drive (OS & programs) was audio files.

So, how to use Finder or Quick Finder to search only the C drive for files with the following extensions:
.mp4
.flac
.m4a
.wav
.wma
.aac

I may have missed a few extensions, but this should catch most.
But, I couldn't figure out how to limit the search to just the C drive and to just audio files.
There must be an easy way - Finder slogged through all attached drives and gave me a long list.
If you can show me a bar graph of space used on, say, drive C:\ by System files, Apps, Image files, Audio files, Video files, Documents, and Other Files, I surely should be able to search for a list of those files by category.

I will appreciate direction, instructions, etc on how to use Finder/Quick Finder or ?? to do this.
You can do this with Finder. Simply open Finder, first choose only to search for "Files" from "What types of data to look for", then enter to the "What items to find" box:

*.mp4
*.flac
*.m4a
*.wav
*.wma
*.aac

Lastly, go to "Where to look from", check "Also from here" and write "C:\" there.

And click Start.
dearnold
New user

Post by dearnold »

Thank you for the directions. I believe that I had not scrolled down far enough on the Finder settings page to see "Also from here".

That brings me to a feedback item that I have for the new jv16PT UI -
Why is there so much white space on each page?
To me, much of the white space is just wasted real estate and creates a need to scroll on pages to see all settings or all results. It is not only wasting space on the screen, but it's a time waster to be scrolling so often to see more content.
I'd be ecstatic if you would reduce the header font size and reduce white space.

Next Finder type question.
20220805_jv16PT screen shot.jpg
20220805_jv16PT screen shot.jpg (93.2 KiB) Viewed 250 times
This is a lovely bar chart - how do I search for all the files in "Other Files" - shown on the annotated screen shot?

Thanks!
Dianne
long-time jv16 Power Tools user
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

dearnold wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:46 am That brings me to a feedback item that I have for the new jv16PT UI -
Why is there so much white space on each page?
To me, much of the white space is just wasted real estate and creates a need to scroll on pages to see all settings or all results. It is not only wasting space on the screen, but it's a time waster to be scrolling so often to see more content.
I'd be ecstatic if you would reduce the header font size and reduce white space.
Free space is used to make the UI look less "stuffed" or "busy". But perhaps you can show a screenshot that shows this white space and I can see if it's looking correct?
dearnold wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:46 am Next Finder type question.
20220805_jv16PT screen shot.jpg

This is a lovely bar chart - how do I search for all the files in "Other Files" - shown on the annotated screen shot?
I'm afraid that is not currently supported. This functionality will be added to the app in the future.
CSGalloway
Senior user

Post by CSGalloway »

Is it possible to download this version still - ? 7.5.0.1463
Let there be peace on Earth, and Good will towards Men
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

CSGalloway wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:36 pm Is it possible to download this version still - ? 7.5.0.1463
Yes, all our old product versions are available in URLs in the format of:
https://jv16powertools.com/downloads/ol ... rsion>.exe

So for example, in this case the URL would be:
https://jv16powertools.com/downloads/ol ... 0.1463.exe