Major version update released (6.0.0.1099)

Discussion relating to the current version of jv16 PowerTools.
jv16
Developer

Major version update released (6.0.0.1099)

Post by jv16 »

After months of development, I'm very happy announce we are today releasing a major update to jv16 PowerTools. You can download it from:

https://jv16powertools.com/downloads/jv16pt_setup.exe

Since the last official version (build 939), our testing team has done 3040 test installations, ran a total of 11224 testing cycles and spent in total of 2452 hours in testing. Not work hours, but actual, hands-on time clocked while actually testing the product.

The main changes are:
1) Brand new user interface. We heard your feedback about the user interface, and we listened. The new version now comes with a more powerful user interface, more in line with the classic jv16 PowerTools versions.
2) Faster and more accurate. We spent hours on making the new version faster and more accurate. It will now clean better than ever before.
3) Quality improvements to all the tools.

There are also many interesting performance related numbers from our quality control system. The previous official build took on average 93 seconds to complete the Initial Setup. The new version does this, on average, in just 54 seconds. The previous official build took on average 53 seconds to do a System Cleaner scan, now it takes only 46 seconds. And perhaps even more impressive is that the Software Uninstaller previously took 52 seconds, and now only 36 seconds. Also, it's worth noting that these numbers are averages across hundreds of test installations, not cherry picked numbers from one or two systems.

While the new user interface might seem heavier, the actual memory (RAM) usage of the program is also down from an average of 224 MB with the previous official build, to only 118 MB.

While speed and overall performance are important indicators, even more important is the tool's ability to clean your computer. In these key metrics, the new version is also better than ever before. For example, the new version finds on average 5.2% more files and registry data relating to installed software. There is also a brand new, dedicated scan module in System Cleaner to detect left over software files and registry keys.
Anne
New user

Re: Major version update released (6.0.0.1099)

Post by Anne »

Just installed and tried version 6.0.0.1099 -

After scanning and clicking on FIX ALL, the circle indicator went to 99% and stayed there for over 10 minutes.

The description of the file being worked on also did not change.

After over 10 minutes I finally clicked on Ctl-Alt-Del to go to task manager to see if the jv16 program was even running BUT,
As soon as I clicked on the Task Manager button the jv16 program said it was finished..

I have no idea if jv16 actually finished or opening Task Manager caused it to finish,,

It would also be nice to have some kind of indicator that the program was still alive and working..

I "assume" the showing of the files being processed and the percentage indicator was to do that, but in this situation neither did .
Lichtkristal
New user

Post by Lichtkristal »

jv16 Power Tools version 5.0.0.939 registry recovery and boot is minimal.

Dear board, and design team jv16 Power Tools.

Why was jv16 Power Tools 2007 and CCleaner in the year 2009 with Freeware and now in the
year 2021 in the CCleaner Professional version 77.8521 (64-bit), on a laptop with Windows 10
64-bit, Intel Core i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GB RAM, Intel UHD Graphics 620, still better at finding
and fixing errors in the registry than jv16 Power Tools version 5.0.0.939, even if jv16 Power
Tools works first and after this then CCleaner, Both to work on the registry repair there
CCleaner still finds errors, regardless of that both worked side by side to restore the registry,
how can that not be seen and so pass you?

VERY SLOW jv16 Power Tools version 5.0.0.939 start-up, which still has a very slow boot time and
each time that you start it up you still need to wait more than one minute.

Kind regards from Belgium - Antwerp.
pmruzicka
New user

Post by pmruzicka »

No clue what is happening, but when I open the v.6 powertools, and click on run System Cleaner, it closes/minimizes the sidebar and sits and does nothing. Or at least it gives no indication that it is doing anything. Shut it down 3 times and it did the same thing every time. Kind of useless. Had this program for years and well, this is unsatisfactory.
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

Lichtkristal wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:11 pm jv16 Power Tools version 5.0.0.939 registry recovery and boot is minimal.

Dear board, and design team jv16 Power Tools.

Why was jv16 Power Tools 2007 and CCleaner in the year 2009 with Freeware and now in the
year 2021 in the CCleaner Professional version 77.8521 (64-bit), on a laptop with Windows 10
64-bit, Intel Core i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GB RAM, Intel UHD Graphics 620, still better at finding
and fixing errors in the registry than jv16 Power Tools version 5.0.0.939, even if jv16 Power
Tools works first and after this then CCleaner, Both to work on the registry repair there
CCleaner still finds errors, regardless of that both worked side by side to restore the registry,
how can that not be seen and so pass you?
Why different products find different amount of errors and things to clean is because they work in a different way.

If you compare jv16 PowerTools to CCleaner, I would say jv16 PowerTools cleans better but it is also more safety focused. For example, by default, jv16 PowerTools does not clean all temporary files from your system, because that is not safe. CCleaner, in my understand, does exactly this, deletes all temporary files. This can be risky, because there is a reason why temporary files are used, and simply deleting them all can cause problems, that is why jv16 PowerTools does not do that.
Lichtkristal wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:11 pm VERY SLOW jv16 Power Tools version 5.0.0.939 start-up, which still has a very slow boot time and
each time that you start it up you still need to wait more than one minute.
I'm sorry but I'm not sure what do you mean. Do you mean the new build 1099 is slow to start, or that build 939 is slow to start?
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

Anne wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:47 pm Just installed and tried version 6.0.0.1099 -

After scanning and clicking on FIX ALL, the circle indicator went to 99% and stayed there for over 10 minutes.

The description of the file being worked on also did not change.

After over 10 minutes I finally clicked on Ctl-Alt-Del to go to task manager to see if the jv16 program was even running BUT,
As soon as I clicked on the Task Manager button the jv16 program said it was finished..

I have no idea if jv16 actually finished or opening Task Manager caused it to finish,,

It would also be nice to have some kind of indicator that the program was still alive and working..

I "assume" the showing of the files being processed and the percentage indicator was to do that, but in this situation neither did .
This sounds incorrect indeed. Could you consider sending the contents of your C:\Program files (x86)\jv16 PowerTools\Debug folder to me and I could study what happened? (Instructions how to do this, can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6101)

Also, a quick question: Do you remember about how many items were found by the System Cleaner that you were attempting to clean and fix? Was it a large amount? (I'm not saying it should work like this even if it is a large amount, I'm just trying to understand what could have happened)
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

pmruzicka wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:37 am No clue what is happening, but when I open the v.6 powertools, and click on run System Cleaner, it closes/minimizes the sidebar and sits and does nothing. Or at least it gives no indication that it is doing anything. Shut it down 3 times and it did the same thing every time. Kind of useless. Had this program for years and well, this is unsatisfactory.
Sorry to hear this! Sounds like something is not right, indeed. Could you consider sending the contents of your C:\Program files (x86)\jv16 PowerTools\Debug folder to me and I could study what happened? (Instructions how to do this, can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6101)
redseujac
Super Guru

Post by redseujac »

Dutch translation version 5.0

This the newest Dutch translation file (version 5.0) for build 1099.

For the users copying the new translation file to the subdirectory "Translations", please don't forget to clear the program cache after placing the file, otherwise the old translation will be still shown.
Dutch_v5.zip
(34.96 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Observation:

After clicking "More information" on the Main window of the program a list of errors is displayed containing also some explanation in English. This English text seems not to be translated. Can this be fixed?
More_Info.png
More_Info.png (9.58 KiB) Viewed 842 times
Error in (English) Language files

There is an error in [Custom_Strings_ToolTips].
e4BB4tgke4Bg=Click here to open tool: {1}
Fafr2SrESFBf=Click here to start tool "{1}"

This is a kind of duplicate and so the tooltip is displayed twice (once with "open" and once with "start) :?
The first one should be removed, while the second one is correct with "{1}". So the tool name is translated with the second placeholder "{1}", while with the first one {1} he's not.

Please fix.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X - Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512 GB - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1080 - Windows 10 Pro (x64) v21H1 - jv16 PT Platinum VIP - Dutch translator jv16 PT - Forum moderator
ledge1962
New user

Post by ledge1962 »

I just upgraded the program to 1099, and the improvement is quite noticeable.
I never had any issues with the system clean, it worked flawlessly.
I did notice that the top 5 items in the Tools dropdown box are still unresponsive. Not a big issue, but if they are there, they should work.
Jv16 Menu Issue.jpg
Jv16 Menu Issue.jpg (33.34 KiB) Viewed 803 times
Happy to carry out any tests you need done.
G
Win10
redseujac
Super Guru

Post by redseujac »

ledge1962 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:05 am I did notice that the top 5 items in the Tools dropdown box are still unresponsive. Not a big issue, but if they are there, they should work.
They ARE working at my system :wink:
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X - Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512 GB - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1080 - Windows 10 Pro (x64) v21H1 - jv16 PT Platinum VIP - Dutch translator jv16 PT - Forum moderator
Bolosun-1
New user

Post by Bolosun-1 »

I have installed it and it locks when you selecting System Cleaner. Tried reinstalling a couple of times, same result. So back to version 5
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

redseujac wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:05 pm Dutch translation version 5.0

This the newest Dutch translation file (version 5.0) for build 1099.

For the users copying the new translation file to the subdirectory "Translations", please don't forget to clear the program cache after placing the file, otherwise the old translation will be still shown.
Dutch_v5.zip
Thank you for the updated translation! It will be included to the program with the next release, which is scheduled for next week. We will do a simple performance improvement release. If our data is correct, the current version is a lot faster in your computer than the previous version (build 939), but we are still working to make it faster. The next version will be at least 10% faster, perhaps even more.
redseujac wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:05 pm
Observation:

After clicking "More information" on the Main window of the program a list of errors is displayed containing also some explanation in English. This English text seems not to be translated. Can this be fixed?
More_Info.png

Error in (English) Language files

There is an error in [Custom_Strings_ToolTips].
e4BB4tgke4Bg=Click here to open tool: {1}
Fafr2SrESFBf=Click here to start tool "{1}"

This is a kind of duplicate and so the tooltip is displayed twice (once with "open" and once with "start) :?
The first one should be removed, while the second one is correct with "{1}". So the tool name is translated with the second placeholder "{1}", while with the first one {1} he's not.

Please fix.
Agreed, we will fix these two issue. Thank you for reporting!
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

ledge1962 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:05 am I just upgraded the program to 1099, and the improvement is quite noticeable.
I never had any issues with the system clean, it worked flawlessly.
I did notice that the top 5 items in the Tools dropdown box are still unresponsive. Not a big issue, but if they are there, they should work.
Jv16 Menu Issue.jpg
Happy to carry out any tests you need done.
G
Win10
I was able to reproduce and fix this issue now. The fix will be included to the next released build. Thank you for reporting!
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

Bolosun-1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:35 pm I have installed it and it locks when you selecting System Cleaner. Tried reinstalling a couple of times, same result. So back to version 5
Thank you for reporting! We have so far received a few (perhaps three or four) reports of this happening. We have re-done our normal testing routines to see if we can reproduce this bug in any of our testing systems: we could not. It seems that this is a rare issue that might be relating to your computer's hardware or software configuration (by this, I don't mean there is anything wrong with your computer. I mean that your computer might contain something that cause jv16 PowreTools' scan to fail like this).

We are continuing to investigate this and hope to issue a fix as soon as possible. Thank you again for letting us know!
bluejay
New user

Post by bluejay »

Installed new 1099 version. System cleaner tells me I have 7 registry errors plus quite a few more fixes, e.g. unneeded software entries. I want to see what the 7 registry error are before I click on FIX. Same for the other errors. Would never click Fix unless I know what will be fixed. Is there a way to see they errors? Any way to just click on certain errors I want to fix. Maybe a checkbox by the errors?