jv16 PowerTools Update Released - Version 4.2.0.2009

Discussion relating to the current version of jv16 PowerTools.
jv16
Developer

jv16 PowerTools Update Released - Version 4.2.0.2009

Post by jv16 »

An updated version of jv16 PowerTools has been released. The latest version number is 4.2.0.2005.

The latest version can be downloaded here: https://www.macecraft.com/download/
For the most common questions about a new version release and their answers, see: https://www.macecraft.com/jv16-powertoo ... -2-0-2009/

Change Log – What’s New
(compared to jv16 PowerTools build 4.2.0.2005)

Here is a complete list of bug fixes and improvements that we did since jv16 PowerTools – Version 4.2.0.2005 was last released on February 18th, 2019

Bug Fixes

Fix: In some systems the Initial Setup and Software Uninstaller may freeze during scanning.
Fix: The Duplicate File Finder may show "Range check error" when run.
Fix: Clicking the Start button in File Cleaner or Duplicate File Finder without editing the default tool settings can cause the tool showing "Directory does not exist" error message.
Fix: The Clean and SpeedUp My Computer does not always honor the Global Ignore List defined in the program settings for all types of registry errors.
Fix: The Delete button in Clean and SpeedUp My Computer's result view can incorrectly be captioned with "Uninstall" rather than "Delete". This is purely a cosmetic issue.
Fix: The Software Uninstaller does not honor the Global Ignore List.

Feature Improvements

Improvement: Improved the safety of the temporary file detection in File Cleaner and Clean and SpeedUp My Computer.
Improvement: Improved the accuracy of the Clean and SpeedUp My Computer.
Improvement: Major improvements of accuracy and safety in the Software Uninstaller.
Improvement: The program will no longer ask if you wish to restart your computer to collect more startup time information in the case the program's trial period has already expired.

For any comments, feedback or issues, please feel free to report them here (use the Post Reply button to reply to this thread).
jv16
Developer

Re: jv16 PowerTools Update Released - Version 4.2.0.2009

Post by jv16 »

Also, here is the report from our Automated Quality Control system (AQC):
AQC_PT_b2009x.png
AQC_PT_b2009x.png (26.06 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
As we can see, there is a nice improvement on quality compared to the previous official version (Build 2005). The issues detected by the system from the 2009 build were mostly (over 90%) relating to slow UI update rates. These are an annoying issue but only a cosmetic problem. Fixing them would require major changes to the UI, which we may do in the future. However, the jv16 PowerTools NMV with its new UI does not have these problems, so we are not sure if the UI problems in jv16 PowerTools Classic will be fixed.

The AQC system works by analyzing the debug data generated by running jv16 PowerTools. So, we have now a dedicated testing team who runs jv16 PowerTools on a wide variety of different types of computers (old and new, fast and slow, Intel and AMD, all versions of Windows, with different number of third party software installed, and within a real computer system and inside a virtual machine) and then we collect the debug data generated. Then the debug data is given to the AQC which scans the debug logs for many kinds of problems, such as false positives, inaccurate detection of installed software, crashes, slow UI refresh rates, error messages on screen etc. These problems are then counted and from these numbers, the quality rating score is calculated. With this system in place, we can measure the quality of our software in an objective way, and ensure every single new version is measurable better than the previous version.
Forrest
New user

Post by Forrest »

After installing 2009 on an updated Windows10 PC running Clean & SpeedUp resulted in a >5 min hangup when scanning ActiveX/COM/ DCOM/OLE/DDE. Compacted the registry OK and reran Clean & .... Result: System freeze and a 'Seems not to be working" message.
razorflash
New user

Post by razorflash »

Today installed the update 4.2.0.2009 on 2 PC:s with Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Home. Both scann freezed as described in forgoing post(by Forresrt) when made scan ""Clean & Speedup". Something is not ok. It seems that this relese is not regressed testing enough. I am awaiting a quick correction! By the way I am a little tired of all corrections, TEST BETTER!
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

Forrest wrote:After installing 2009 on an updated Windows10 PC running Clean & SpeedUp resulted in a >5 min hangup when scanning ActiveX/COM/ DCOM/OLE/DDE. Compacted the registry OK and reran Clean & .... Result: System freeze and a 'Seems not to be working" message.
I'm sorry but I am not sure if I understand what you are reporting: 1) Did the ActiveX/COM/ DCOM/OLE/DDE complete or not? and 2) Is the "system freeze" you mention referring to the program freezing or your Windows freezing?

If you want us to take a closer look at the problem, please create a zip file of the jv16 PowerTools' Backups folder (by default at: c:\program files\jv16 PowerTools\Backups\) and upload it to e.g. WeTransfer.com and send the download link to download the file either to this thread, to me via Forum Private Message or to [email protected].

The Backups folder contains logs of what was done and what happened, plus also what software is installed to your system so we can try to replicate the installed software in your system in our test systems to see if we can reproduce the problem.
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

razorflash wrote:Today installed the update 4.2.0.2009 on 2 PC:s with Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Home. Both scann freezed as described in forgoing post(by Forresrt) when made scan ""Clean & Speedup". Something is not ok. It seems that this relese is not regressed testing enough. I am awaiting a quick correction! By the way I am a little tired of all corrections, TEST BETTER!
Very sorry to hear this, we did not experience any problems like this in any of our testing systems. Could you tell me what kind of hardware are you using? Also, receiving the Backups data would help to analyze the problem (instructions how to send the backups data in my previous message above).
redseujac
Super Guru

Post by redseujac »

No problem found here with Clean and SpeedUp My Computer.
Scan finished properly after 85 seconds.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X - Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512 GB - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1080 - Windows 10 Pro (x64) v21H2 - jv16 PT Platinum VIP v.7.4.0.1409 - Dutch translator jv16 PT - Forum moderator
mannie
New user

Post by mannie »

After many year of being too scared to use jv16 PowerTools, I decided to try it again. I used "Clean & SpeedUp my Computer" once. After this my PC now takes longer to startup. Some of my applications that startup automatically when the PC boots require Internet access. Unfortunately jv16 appears to have delayed connectivity to the network. So the apps now fail to connect & I have to close them down & reopen them.

Please tell me how I can manually adjust the order & timing of startup applications. Failing this, what to I need to do to revert back my PC to its state prior to the "SpeedUp".
mannie
New user

"Clean and Speedup my Computer" has made things worse.

Post by mannie »

I have installed this version & ran the "Clean and Speedup my Computer" after much trepidation. Unfortunately I now find that the speedup has actually made things worse. I have 2 apps which automatically startup when I boot the PC. They try to connect to the Internet. However since running "Clean and Speedup my Computer" they fail to connect to the Internet because my PC has not yet established a connection. I believe this has something to do with jv16 speedup. Is there any way to see what jv16 has done & make manual adjustments to fix this. If not, is there any way I can reverse the changes jv16 has made?
kaholzer
New user

Post by kaholzer »

I have included the mentioned jv16 PowerTools modules to the exclusion list of Kaspersky Total Security (actual version).
But sometimes I get the message to include jv17pt.exe to the exclusion list. Why?
Regards,
Karl Holzer
Doctor9fan
Senior user

Post by Doctor9fan »

kaholzer wrote:I have included the mentioned jv16 PowerTools modules to the exclusion list of Kaspersky Total Security (actual version).
But sometimes I get the message to include jv17pt.exe to the exclusion list. Why?
Regards,
Karl Holzer
I’ve added the exclusions to Defender & Malwarebytes but still see the reminder. I assume it is just that & not an indication that the program isn’t ‘seeing’ that they’ve already been added.
Virginia.
jv16
Developer

Re: "Clean and Speedup my Computer" has made things worse.

Post by jv16 »

mannie wrote:I have installed this version & ran the "Clean and Speedup my Computer" after much trepidation. Unfortunately I now find that the speedup has actually made things worse. I have 2 apps which automatically startup when I boot the PC. They try to connect to the Internet. However since running "Clean and Speedup my Computer" they fail to connect to the Internet because my PC has not yet established a connection. I believe this has something to do with jv16 speedup. Is there any way to see what jv16 has done & make manual adjustments to fix this. If not, is there any way I can reverse the changes jv16 has made?
This is a documented feature called the Startup Optimizer which will delay the starting of certain non critical software in order to make the actual Windows startup faster. To disable this, simply disable Startup Optimizer.
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

kaholzer wrote:I have included the mentioned jv16 PowerTools modules to the exclusion list of Kaspersky Total Security (actual version).
Regards,
Karl Holzer
That is because it's impossible for jv16 PowerTools to know if you have actually added the exclusion. That is why it is sometimes reminded when anti-virus product is detected.
aurelius
New user

Post by aurelius »

After updating to 2009 my system health is listed as zero percent. No matter how many times I run the Clean and Speedup my computer, the result is always zero. I'm running win 7 sp1 x64 ultimate package, 32 gigs Ram. Any suggestions as how to get a valid system health reading? Thanx