Installation creates new user

Discussion relating to the current version of jv16 PowerTools.
jack
New user

Installation creates new user

Post by jack »

When I install jv16 powertools it creates a new user in C:\Users. The only entry is a new folder: C:\Users\"name"\AppData\Local\jv16PowerTools in which the "name" is the first part of my user name. Is this normal behavior and, if not, how can I get it to use my normal user account?
jv16
Developer

Re: Installation creates new user

Post by jv16 »

This does not sound normal. Does your Windows username contain any non A to Z characters other than a space? For example, is it something like "John Smith" and jv16 PowerTools creates a folder called "John"?
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

Waiting for more information. We have attempted to reproduce the problem, but have not been able to.
redseujac
Super Guru

Post by redseujac »

I have also a folder jv16PowerTools in C:\Users\Name\Appdata\Local (where 'Name' is my First Name). The folder contains the file 'jv16pt_Widget.ini'.

I think it's not abnormal.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X - Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512 GB - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1080 - Windows 10 Pro (x64) v22H2 - jv16 PT Platinum VIP [7.6.0.1512] - Dutch translator jv16 PT - Forum moderator
jack
New user

Post by jack »

My main user folder is my first and last name, both 4 letters, with a space in between. The user folder jv16 creates uses my first name only, so the first 4 (or 5?) characters of my real user folder name. The only thing in the new user folder is AppData\Local\jv16PowerTools in which are only 2 files: jv16pt_Widget.ini and jv16PT_Widget.log. I can delete the user altogether and set jv16 so the Desktop Widget does not start, but as soon as I re-start jv16PowerTools the user folder is re-created with both files. I have another installation on another computer on which the only user has a 5 letter name. jv16PowerTools does not create a seperate folder there. Sorry for the delay, I've been away for a little while and forgot to check "Notify me when a reply is posted."
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

That sounds very unusual indeed! Could you be so kind and send me a Forum Private Message saying what is the username you use in Windows, or send that information via a support ticket (https://macecraft.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new).

If we know the username, we could attempt to reproduce the problem in our testing systems and if we can see the problem, we can fix it. Thank you!
jack
New user

Post by jack »

Opened a support ticket.
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

jack wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:22 pm Opened a support ticket.
Ticket received. We are looking into this. Thank you for reporting!