Unable to remove/delete key

Discussion of jv16 PowerTools 2010. Note: this product version is no longer supported, feel free to use this product if you want but please remember that if you encounter any problem with it you should update to the latest version.
LvR
New user

Unable to remove/delete key

Post by LvR »

Hoping for some help.

Running on version 2.0.0.986

I had the misfortune of plugging an ancient USB DSL modem into my machine while trying to help a customer - Windows couldn't find any drivers for the W7 X64 operating system and neither could I despite a lot of searching.

So I unplugged the device and sent the customer on his way.

However - now I have a registry problem where I cannot remove/edit/change anything associated with that device

JV16 refuses to remove it saying either access is denied or its an invalid key ........................... well duh, thats why I bought the software to get rid of this garbage.

If I click on any of the keys and open regedit with the idea of changing ownership/properties/permissions, I am told I am not allowed to change those because I do not have permission - yet I am running on the actual Administrator account of an up-to date W7 X64 Ultimate.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (87.13 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
Anybody with a suggestion please?
tullik
Super Guru

Re: Unable to remove/delete key

Post by tullik »

Here's a RegEdit procedure that may help: http://www.macecraft.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... cky#p20992

The procedure is probably a little different on an x64 w7 system (extra warnings). I tried it with an HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_... tree on my x64 w7 Home Premium PC and got to the "change owner" dialogue. However, I didn't go so far as to actually change the ownership, since AFAIK, my ...\Enum\USB\... structures are all valid.
tullik -- Win 10 x64
LvR
New user

Post by LvR »

Thanks for the observation ................

I can however get to where one can say apply but then I am told I dont have permission

Dont know how to get permission because there are other keys I could remove via this route
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (64.32 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
tullik
Super Guru

Post by tullik »

I looked further into the issue.

It seems the last subkey, named Properties, in every ...\enum\usb\... structure causes the denial.

Its permissions look like this:
01-02-2011_01-15-04.jpg
01-02-2011_01-15-04.jpg (34.54 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
After taking ownership and changing permissions using the previously suggested procedure (followed exactly at each step 1 through 4), the permissions look like this:
01-02-2011_01-21-42.jpg
01-02-2011_01-21-42.jpg (43.02 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
:|

I think the empty initial permissions state is likely a windows bug. RegEdit won't even export the Properties subkey until its permissions are changed.
tullik -- Win 10 x64
tullik
Super Guru

Post by tullik »

LvR wrote: ... I can however get to where one can say apply but then I am told I dont have permission

Dont know how to get permission because there are other keys I could remove via this route
Untitled.png
You didn't take ownership. After you do that, then you can apply permissions changes.
tullik -- Win 10 x64
LvR
New user

Post by LvR »

Well - it looks like its my day to wear the dunce cap then.

IMO I have taken ownership
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (67.34 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
LvR
New user

Post by LvR »

................. and when I want to delete the key I get maoned at as follows
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (76.71 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
LvR
New user

Post by LvR »

................ and for each of the subkeys in there I get this even though I have jumped through the same owner/permission hoopes with them too
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (77.17 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
LvR
New user

Post by LvR »

.........................because when I try to delete the original offending key I get this...
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (81.72 KiB) Viewed 2979 times
LvR
New user

Post by LvR »

OK - good news eventually.

Despite me continuing to get moaned at and JV16 also being unable to kill those keys, I thought lets see if a machine restart will somehow kick-start regedit into believing we know what it is we are trying to do .................. and on restart JV16 could suddenly remove the offending keys no problem.

Now I don't know why/how the problem was cerated but I am thankful its solved and also appreciate your assistance and suggestion.

Perhaps the Dev's can have a look and a thought about what happened and possibly prevent a similar user experience somewhere in the future f its not as simple as a W7 X64 ultimate bug