Bug - incorrect sort

Discussion of jv16 PowerTools 2010. Note: this product version is no longer supported, feel free to use this product if you want but please remember that if you encounter any problem with it you should update to the latest version.
terrypin
New user

Bug - incorrect sort

Post by terrypin »

As you see from the following screenshot, the program does not sort entries correctly by Installation Date.

It appears to be treating the date as if Year was in the leftmost position. Presumably it should use the Windows settings for Short Date, which in my case is DD/MM/YYYY.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
redseujac
Super Guru

Re: Bug - incorrect sort

Post by redseujac »

Look at the Settings of jv16 PowerTools 2010. Go to the tab Advanced. Is the Default date format correct? If not change it.

You can also try to click on the column header to change the sort order/sequence.

In any case I have the same DD.MM.YYYY setting as you have and the sort order in jv16 PT 2010 (Software Uninstaller), column Installation Date seems to be correct.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X - Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512 GB - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1080 - Windows 10 Pro (x64) v21H1 - jv16 PT Platinum VIP - Dutch translator jv16 PT - Forum moderator
Leonardo
Guru

Post by Leonardo »

terrypin wrote:...Software Uninstaller does not sort entries correctly by Installation Date. It appears to be treating the date as if Year was in the leftmost position.....
XP-SP3 with build 986:
Sort on the 'Installation Date' only seems to work 'properly' with the jv16PT default setting = YYYY.MM.DD HH:NN:SS
Uninstaller_Sort on Date_01.jpg
Uninstaller_Sort on Date_01.jpg (136.76 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
Uninstaller_Sort on Date_02.jpg
Uninstaller_Sort on Date_02.jpg (148.44 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
Last edited by Leonardo on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
redseujac
Super Guru

Post by redseujac »

Leonardo wrote:Sort on the 'Installation Date' only seems to work 'properly' with the jv16PT default setting = YYYY.MM.DD HH:NN:SS
According to the Handbook (p.16) the default date format is "DD.MM.YYYY,HH:NN"

Code: Select all

Settings directory Determines date formatting. The default date format is “DD.MM.YYYY,
HH:NN”. Note that the MM refers to months, and NN minutes. The list contains some of the
most common date formats, but you can also create your own date format.
I already wrote that the sort is OK on my pc with the date format "DD.MM.YYYY,HH:NN", which is indeed the default format on my computer.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X - Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512 GB - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1080 - Windows 10 Pro (x64) v21H1 - jv16 PT Platinum VIP - Dutch translator jv16 PT - Forum moderator
Leonardo
Guru

Post by Leonardo »

Leonardo wrote:XP-SP3 with build 986:
Sort on the 'Installation Date' in the 'SW Uninstaller' only seems to work properly with the jv16PT default setting = YYYY.MM.DD HH:NN:SS
redseujac wrote: 1. According to the Handbook (p.16) the default date format is "DD.MM.YYYY,HH:NN"
2. I already wrote that the sort is OK on my pc with the date format "DD.MM.YYYY,HH:NN", which is indeed the default format on my computer.
1. No argument here, that is my Windows XP default setting too.
2. However in my XP/b986 case the sort on 'Installation Date' in the 'SW Uninstaller' only seems to work properly if I set jv16PT -> Settings ->
Advanced -> Default date format -> to "YYY.MM.DD,HH:NN:SS"
terrypin
New user

Post by terrypin »

I think this is proving to be a bit of a bag of worms!

The subject issue is plainly a bug. With the original jv16 settings of DD.MM.YYYY, HH:MM the sorting is wrong, as my screenshot showed. BTW, I see that minutes and months are both represented by 'MM', which might be relevant. Using YYYY-MM-DD HH:NN:SS, (in which minutes are now represented as 'NN', distinctly from months) does give correct sorting. But, although that's a work-around that allows you to examine results by installation date, it's not the desired format.

BTW, I note also that there's no comma separator in YYYY-MM-DD HH:NN:SS, yet the results do include one.

However, there seems to be a more serious issue, in that the installation dates shown (in any format) are frequently wrong. For example, I can see many entries for programs I installed months (or in at least one case years) ago, which are shown as installed in the last few days!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Leonardo
Guru

Post by Leonardo »

terrypin wrote:I think this is proving to be a bit of a bag of worms!
I think this is a bit of an overstatement!
terrypin wrote:...............With the original jv16 settings of DD.MM.YYYY, HH:MM the sorting is wrong, as my screenshot showed. BTW, I see that minutes and months are both represented by 'MM', which might be relevant. Using YYYY-MM-DD HH:NN:SS, (in which minutes are now represented as 'NN', distinctly from months) does give correct sorting. But, although that's a work-around that allows you to examine results by installation date, it's not the desired format.......
terrypin wrote:However, there seems to be a more serious issue, in that the installation dates shown (in any format) are frequently wrong.
For example, I can see many entries for programs I installed months (or in at least one case years) ago, which are shown as installed in the last few days!
As jv16 stated quite a while ago, jv16PT 2011 will contain a completely rewitten 'SW Uninstaller'. The new 'SW Uninstaller' will hopefully cover these issues.
Bob Vance
New user

Post by Bob Vance »

I have found the sort is buggy on all columns --not just the date
applefitch
New user

Post by applefitch »

Am I to understand that bugs found in jv16 PowerTools 2010 will only be fixed for jv16 PowerTools 2011 and not be fixed for version 2010? In other words, users of version 2010 are SOL when it comes to bug fixes for version 2010 unless they buy version 2011? Wow, what great business model. In order to get a properly working software program you must keep buying the new versions....
Leonardo
Guru

Post by Leonardo »

applefitch wrote:Am I to understand that bugs found in jv16 PowerTools 2010 will only be fixed for jv16 PowerTools 2011 and not be fixed for version 2010?
In other words, users of version 2010 are SOL when it comes to bug fixes for version 2010 unless they buy version 2011?
Wow, what great business model. In order to get a properly working software program you must keep buying the new versions....
1. jv16PT2010 was a major product overhaul and a level set for all previous Macecraft products.
ALL licensed users of previous Macecraft products got a free license for this 2010 version.

2. The license of a Macecraft product does not expire, the user can use the once licensed product "for ever".

3. Stopping bug fixing 2-3 month before the release of a new version is not uncommon in the PC SW marketplace. I base this on several products I own!

4. Over the last 15 years, the license upgrade fee has been very modest compared to a new license fee.
applefitch
New user

Post by applefitch »

Leonardo wrote:
applefitch wrote:Am I to understand that bugs found in jv16 PowerTools 2010 will only be fixed for jv16 PowerTools 2011 and not be fixed for version 2010?
In other words, users of version 2010 are SOL when it comes to bug fixes for version 2010 unless they buy version 2011?
Wow, what great business model. In order to get a properly working software program you must keep buying the new versions....
1. jv16PT2010 was a major product overhaul and a level set for all previous Macecraft products.
ALL licensed users of previous Macecraft products got a free license for this 2010 version.

2. The license of a Macecraft product does not expire, the user can use the once licensed product "for ever".

3. Stopping bug fixing 2-3 month before the release of a new version is not uncommon in the PC SW marketplace. I base this on several products I own!

4. Over the last 15 years, the license upgrade fee has been very modest compared to a new license fee.
#1. Yeah, we should be ever so grateful that bugs are even being fixed. Providing fixes are a gift! How dare customers complain about buggy software. Just who do we think we are?

#2. "...does not expire" and neither do the bugs. "the user can use the...product for ever'" bugs and all.

#3. And it's also not uncommon for PC SW vendors to NOT completely abandon previous version once a new version comes out. Or put in another context - "Dear Volvo, my 2 year old Volvo is having engine problems. Can you fix it for me please?" "No, we're sorry, but you'll have to buy a brand new model. We only fix current models."

#4. Therefore, again, customers somehow have no reason to complain? Macecraft is selflessly proving us with this program out of the goodness of their hearts. How dare we complain about bugs and sour their generosity. They could just stick it to us by closing shop....

Is this a business operating within a competitive marketplace or a religious cult requiring unfettered devotion? Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. It's your choice to devote your free time in providing all sorts free testing and help for Macecraft and then pay for the product on top of it all. Yes, of course they're thankful for your service - it boosts their bottom line without costing them a penny. Again, great business model. I guess the next step would be the "customer" developing the software and paying Macecraft for the privilege of doing so.
Leonardo
Guru

Post by Leonardo »

applefitch wrote:
Leonardo wrote:
1. jv16PT2010 was a major product overhaul and a level set for all previous Macecraft products. ALL licensed users of previous Macecraft products got a free 2010 license.

#1. Yeah, we should be ever so grateful that bugs are even being fixed. Providing fixes are a gift! How dare customers complain about buggy software. Just who do we think we are?

#3. And it's also not uncommon for PC SW vendors to NOT completely abandon previous version once a new version comes out. Or put in another context - "Dear Volvo, my 2 year old Volvo is having engine problems. Can you fix it for me please?" "No, we're sorry, but you'll have to buy a brand new model. We only fix current models."
In your context: Are you getting free car repairs and occasionally a free new model? :wink:
applefitch
New user

Post by applefitch »

Leonardo wrote:In your context: Are you getting free car repairs and occasionally a free new model? :wink:
Leonardo, how about an existing version that works as promised and not one promised for the next version and the next and the next and so on.

You seem to think that because jv16PT2010 was a free upgrade (due to it taking forever to be released), customers therefore have no basis to be upset that existing bugs found in jv16PT2010 will not be fixed for jv16PT2010 but only "fixed" for a completely new version that won't available to jv16PT2010 users unless they pay for it. In short, a properly working jv16PT2010 was actually never free to begin with because to get a properly working jv16PT2010 you have to pay for the next, still not released, version jv16PT2011, which if past experience serves as any indication won't be ready until the third quarter of 2011 if we're lucky and that too will be full of bugs, and then..........

I know exactly how this game works and it's getting old -- you don't want it to work too well or they won't buy the next release that promises to fix all the problems of the previous version and then some. At least the evil empire Microsoft is committed enough to their products that they don't immediately abandon them once a new version is pushed out the door. Heck, I'd be satisfied if Macecraft simply committed themselves to supporting the now-existing-official-non-beta-version until the new version comes out. But apparently they can't even do that!

Once again, jv16 users are left in version Limbo until a "new" version is released and then we get to start this wonderful game all over again. Oh boy, I can't wait! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

NOTE: for the record, jv16PT2010 was officially released on June 30, 2010. The last build, and presumably last build this version will ever see, was released on October 27, 2010. From release date to abandonment date was a mere 4 months. How much time in development went into jv16PT2010 - a year perhaps, more? Does anyone believe that a mere 4 months of support for an official release version of any software is a reasonable amount of time to provide support, a piece of software that was in development for at least a year, significantly delayed because they didn't want to put out something that wasn't up to their standards, and touted as the best yet and well worth the wait? Again, jv16PT2010 was never intended to be free. It was simply a stopgap and it still doesn't work as promised. Cute...
roberta
Senior user

Post by roberta »

applefitch wrote:
Leonardo wrote:In your context: Are you getting free car repairs and occasionally a free new model? :wink:
Leonardo, how about an existing version that works as promised and not one promised for the next version and the next and the next and so on.

You seem to think that because jv16PT2010 was a free upgrade (due to it taking forever to be released), customers therefore have no basis to be upset that existing bugs found in jv16PT2010 will not be fixed for jv16PT2010 but only "fixed" for a completely new version that won't available to jv16PT2010 users unless they pay for it. In short, a properly working jv16PT2010 was actually never free to begin with because to get a properly working jv16PT2010 you have to pay for the next, still not released, version jv16PT2011, which if past experience serves as any indication won't be ready until the third quarter of 2011 if we're lucky and that too will be full of bugs, and then..........

I know exactly how this game works and it's getting old -- you don't want it to work too well or they won't buy the next release that promises to fix all the problems of the previous version and then some. At least the evil empire Microsoft is committed enough to their products that they don't immediately abandon them once a new version is pushed out the door. Heck, I'd be satisfied if Macecraft simply committed themselves to supporting the now-existing-official-non-beta-version until the new version comes out. But apparently they can't even do that!

Once again, jv16 users are left in version Limbo until a "new" version is released and then we get to start this wonderful game all over again. Oh boy, I can't wait! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

NOTE: for the record, jv16PT2010 was officially released on June 30, 2010. The last build, and presumably last build this version will ever see, was released on October 27, 2010. From release date to abandonment date was a mere 4 months. How much time in development went into jv16PT2010 - a year perhaps, more? Does anyone believe that a mere 4 months of support for an official release version of any software is a reasonable amount of time to provide support, a piece of software that was in development for at least a year, significantly delayed because they didn't want to put out something that wasn't up to their standards, and touted as the best yet and well worth the wait? Again, jv16PT2010 was never intended to be free. It was simply a stopgap and it still doesn't work as promised. Cute...
+1
Roberta
The Land Downunder
bdh
New user

Post by bdh »

Hi all,

I don't comment often but I do feel I'd like some sort of feedback from Macecraft on the comments Applefitch (& Roberta - hi fellow Aussie!) have made above. I have a lifetime platinum licence so I'm quite comfortable about not having to fork out money for each major upgrade - that's not an issue for me. However, I think the comments about the 2010 version being abandoned in terms of bug-fixing should be considered by Macecraft. Whilst I can appreciate there is much effort going into the 2011 version, it is still a bit of a worry. How long have they been making Power Tools for? How many 'point' versions and major versions have been created? Surely one would think they would know this piece of software inside out, up and down and back to front by now. They should be able to jump on a bug and squash it almost as soon as it appears, shouldn't they?! Granted, I am not a talented software designer like Macecraft staff but it is quite disconcerting to read about the bugs in the 2010 version and not see immediate attention to it. All the while I'm using this software to safeguard/fix/finetune my machine - my most important and crucial business and personal tool! I would like to think that the software I'm using is as bug free as possible. I know JV maintains that there is no risk of the 'bugs' harming our machines but, c'mon, it has to leave most of us with an uneasy feeling knowing there's buggy software in our arsenal and nobody is intent on fixing it.

So, yes, while I have the highest respect for JV16 & friends and their ability to create this wonderful program in the first place, it is always unnerving to see it remain 'unpatched' for so many lengthy periods when bugs are frequently reported. I think more communication here is key - from Macecraft to it's loyal clients. If there is to be no regular fixing there should at the very least communication about why not - perception is everything. Negative perceptions have brought down bigger companies than macecraft before this. JV, are you there?
Dell Dimension 8300 3.2Ghtz P4, 2GB RAM, WINXP Pro SP3, 27" Dell UltraSharp, NIS2011 [JV16 Platinum VIP]