compare time out??

Discussion of jv16 PowerTools 2008. Note: this product version is no longer supported, feel free to use this product if you want but please remember that if you encounter any problem with it you should update to the latest version.
rtchong
New user

compare time out??

Post by rtchong »

Just upgraded to PT 1.8.0.472 thinking that an apparent bug in the previous version, where a compare of the registry after a program installation, takes forever to finalize.

I did a compare and left the computer on. But after a good night rest, PT is still "working"? Does it take that long to do a registry compare?

ronald
redseujac
Super Guru

Re: compare time out??

Post by redseujac »

Which options have you choosen?

It's better not to choose the "Full snapshot", because the comparison can take a very long time, even can last eternally...
The recommended setting is "Only the following roots": HKey Local Machine and HKey Current User.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X - Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512 GB - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1080 - Windows 10 Pro (x64) v21H1 - jv16 PT Platinum VIP - Dutch translator jv16 PT - Forum moderator
rtchong
New user

Post by rtchong »

I selected HKey_Users too. Is that too much?

ronald
redseujac
Super Guru

Post by redseujac »

I'm not sure.

What happens when you try the default settings?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X - Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512 GB - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1080 - Windows 10 Pro (x64) v21H1 - jv16 PT Platinum VIP - Dutch translator jv16 PT - Forum moderator
rtchong
New user

Post by rtchong »

I aborted the action after 24 hours. I know it worked with the 2007 version, maybe I have to go back. Is it possible to delete the HK_User file or move it to a safe place for later testing?

Checking the JV16PT folder I discovered that I have two snapshots folder with each four files: index.dat, root0.dat, root1.dat and root3.dat. I opened them with notepad and discovered the following.

In the index file there are the following lines:

[Header]
Comments=
Created=
Completed=True
Root0=True
Root1=True
Root2=True
Root3=False
Root4=False

root0.dat is the HKLM, root1.dat the HKCU and root3.dat the HKUS registry. Clearly it looks like there is something wrong where the index.dat makes root0-2 true and root3-4 false, while the saved files are named root0, root1 and root3 respectively.

Would it be wise to change the index.dat file or rename the root3.dat? Is it a bug?

Your comment will be highly appreciated.

ronald
redseujac
Super Guru

Post by redseujac »

I think the developer himself should examine all that and try to answer your questions.
rtchong
New user

Post by rtchong »

redseujac wrote:I think the developer himself should examine all that and try to answer your questions.
I contacted the developer/Macecraft, but they appear to not have noticed. I did get a response that my email was received, though. But that was it.
redseujac
Super Guru

Post by redseujac »

Don't ask support by email, but by the ticket system here.

You can also try Live Chat here.
romeni
New user

Post by romeni »

I have the same problem with other tools of PowerTools:

RegCleaner
RegMonitor - Create snapshot
and others

For example RegCleaner:
In the the status message window all tasks are said to be finished.
But the little status window in the middle says tht still there are 5 threads running.

It remains in this status until I stopped the process in the Windows Task-Manager
since it often doesn't react on any user input (e.g. the 'Abort' button in the little window)
and its status in the Task-Manager is 'not responding'.