Core Refuses to allow Delete of Reg Keys

Discussion of jv16 PowerTools 2007. Note: this product version is no longer supported, feel free to use this product if you want but please remember that if you encounter any problem with it you should update to the latest version.
cumbres
New user

Core Refuses to allow Delete of Reg Keys

Post by cumbres » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:54 pm

When using the Registry cleaner I am told that about 18 registry entries can not be removed because Windows Core doesn't allow it. I have shown a few of the errors below. Can anyone help? I have uninstalled this program (quicktime). I don't know what else to do to get these keys deleted.

Thanks!

[14:51:58 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.qhtm : EditFlags"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access is denied."
[14:51:58 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.qhtm"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access is denied."
[14:51:58 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.qhtm\DefaultIcon"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access is denied."
[14:51:58 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.qhtm\DefaultIcon : @"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access is denied."
[14:51:58 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.qhtm\shell"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access is denied."
[14:51:58 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.qhtm\shell : @"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access is denied."
[14:51:58 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.qhtm\shell\open"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access is denied."
[14:51:58 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.qhtm\shell\open\command"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access is denied."
[14:51:58 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.qhtm\shell\open\command : @"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access is denied."

tullik
Super Guru

Re: Core Refuses to allow Delete of Reg Keys

Post by tullik » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:25 am

You could try changing permissions with RegEdit.

See if it lets you give your userid "Full control" for the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.qhtm key.

If it does, Windows core might let PowerTools remove those entries.
tullik -- Win 10 x64

cumbres
New user

Re: Core Refuses to allow Delete of Reg Keys

Post by cumbres » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:43 am

I did the permissions trick without success. I finally got brave and used Regedit to delete the offending items. It did it without problem. Now everything is fine. But I still don't know what was so special about those keys that JV16 couldn't get them.