New jv16 PowerTools - Beta Version 7.0.0.1262

Discussion about possible ongoing beta testing programs.
jv16
Developer

New jv16 PowerTools - Beta Version 7.0.0.1262

Post by jv16 »

We are happy to announce a new jv16 PowerTools public beta version! This is version 7.0.0.1262!

This is a release candidate version of our upcoming, major update for jv16 PowerTools. We are releasing this beta version here to ask for your feedback.

You can download it here:
(this beta version is now longer available for download)

Please notice that this is a beta version. It will still contain some issues. We are releasing it in order to ask for your feedback. To post your feedback, simply click the Reply button and send your feedback as a reply to this thread.

This is what the updated Dashboard looks like:
Main screen (gauges and drives).PNG
Main screen (gauges and drives).PNG (64.9 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
And the updated Settings:
Settings.PNG
Settings.PNG (69.09 KiB) Viewed 1366 times

jv16 PowerTools Change Log Since b1216

Fixes:
1) Fix: In some rare cases, running the System Cleaner can remove a non working AutoDesk licensing service module. This happens because the module is not working correctly. However, if it is removed, AutoDesk software will stop working and need to be reinstalled. While this is technically not a bug in jv16 PowerTools - it removes a non working service module from the system as designed - the issue is now fixed by ignoring such AutoDesk related services.
2) Fix: Running the System Cleaner with the "Do not list temporary files which could be dangerous to delete" safety setting disabled (it is enabled by default), can damage Windows 10 Start Menu's pinned tiles feature (which is also not enabled by default).
3) Fix: System Cleaner can get stuck to the final "Please wait" phase. This bug is relating to many factors and does not happen often, but the more results are found, the more likely this was to happen.
4) Fix: In rare cases, the "The scan took x seconds and found a total of z registry errrors" etc text in the System Cleaner results screen can contain wrong numbers. This could happen if the ignore list feature is used, and some found items were ignored but they were still counted as found errors - which is technically correct, but would be confusing for the user.
5) Fix: Running the System Cleaner can get stuck to five or more minutes in some systems. This bug is relating to incorrect (read: slow) processing of certain type of data, only found on some systems. It should now be fixed, and the System Cleaner is also now faster overall.
6) Fix: After returning to the Dashboard, there can be a delay of few seconds during which time the UI is not responding.
7) Fix: The Dashboard and the Widget could sometimes show an incorrect icon for a running app. This was purely a cosmetic issue, but it's now fixed nevertheless.
8) Fix: Scrolling the Dashboard area up and down can cause the running apps list to flicker. This is also entirely a cosmetic issue.
9) Fix: Dashboard and Widget app listing could show apps with "< 1%" and "0%" CPU usage which is both superfluous and potentially confusing.
10) Fix: If you hide hard drives from the Dashboard view, it is required to restart the app to be able to see the hard drives again.
11) Fix: Dashboard or the default view of tools can display a horizontal scroll bar, which is not visually very pleasing to see if not absolutely needed.
12) Fix: Task Closer's software column contains empty items, which is not visually pleasing. All cases of no software name are now filled with '(n/a)' text instead.
13) Fix: If you click the button to start a tool while it is already scanning, this will abort the scan which makes no sense. For example, if you click System Cleaner button from the menu, while System Cleaner is already scanning.
14) Fix: The Dashboard and the Widget app can fail to display an icon of a running app, and instead an empty space is displayed.
15) Fix: The result list search feature could become visible before the results, making the user interface to look confusing.
16) Fix: Running the Finder after Duplicate Finder can cause the Finder results list to incorrectly include the Duplicate ID column. This is simply a left-over from running the Duplicate Finder and entirely a cosmetic issue.
17) Fix: It's possible that more than one instance of the app can be started at the same time, and if that happens, the app may simply close without an error message.
18) Fix: The program could show an error message about Access Violation when closed.

Improvements:
1) Major improvements to the responsiveness and overall smoothness of the UI.
2) Major user interface improvements in both how the overall user interface looks like, but especially how easy it is to use.
3) Major reduction to the average time it takes to run the Initial Setup.
4) Entirely rewritten hard drive information area in the Dashboard now shows more detailed data.
5) Highly improved Settings window user interface.
6) Reduced the CPU usage of the Widget.
7) The legend popup panel will now automatically close in Widget after it has been visible for a few seconds.
8) It's now possible to change the order of the dashboard content. And there is more freedom to choose what is displayed there.
9) The result list columns are now sized based on their content. And, if you don't like this, you can also choose them to be equally sized. This option was added to Settings.

Beta version known issues:
1) In some systems, the app can either close by itself without any error message, or stop responding and then close. This is a rare issue that only affects some systems. In the systems this is happening, it happens quite often. In most systems, it never happens.
2) When the UI first starts, there can still be minor movement of the UI elements. For example, the content areas of Settings screen may not be correctly sized when it first opens, but they automatically re-adjust after a few seconds. This is a cosmetic issue, but annoying nevertheless.
3) Clicking the top right corner buttons to minimize or maximize the app window can cause the button color to incorrectly stay in the focused color.
4) The Windows 10 task bar progress for jv16 PowerTools can be different than that shown within the app itself.
5) The scan progress circle can look pixelated.
6) Check For Updates window UI does not look very nice, and can have partially missing texts.

How to update:
Since this a beta version, and it is released for testing purposes only, we do not recommend you to install this over any existing jv16 PowerTools installation. Instead, please install this version to a new directory. In this way, if there are any bugs, you can just uninstall this version and continue to use any old version you have running.
jv16
Developer

Re: New jv16 PowerTools - Beta Version 7.0.0.1262

Post by jv16 »

If you are experiencing any problems with this build of jv16 PowerTools, or you are seeing something not working, please follow these steps to report a bug:

Follow these steps:
1) Open jv16 PowerTools
2) Click to open the jv16 PowerTools menu on the top left corner OR the File menu and choose Save As.

This feature will create a ZIP file of the contents of jv16 PowerTools's Debug folder (by default it is at C:\Program Files (x86)\jv16 PowerTools\Debug\). The ZIP file is created to your Windows Desktop.

Please send the file directly to me via Forum Private Message, OR upload it to WeTransfer.com and send the download link to me, OR send the WeTransfer download link to our support via [email protected]

Alternative Method:
If the above Save List As method fails, you can also manually create a ZIP file of the C:\Program Files (x86)\jv16 PowerTools\Debug\ folder and send the ZIP file to us.

Privacy Warning: The Debug folder and the generated ZIP file contains information about your system, such as the version of your Windows, running software, the list of installed software and other similar information. This is done in order to give us an understanding what is installed in your computer in order to try to reproduce the problem you are reporting. If you have licensed your copy of PowerTools, the debug data also contains your name and email address. We will treat all received debug data as confidential. By sending over the debug data you accept this privacy policy.
leon_heller
New user

Post by leon_heller »

Just tried System Cleaner and Internet Optimiser - seems OK.
ledge1962
New user

Post by ledge1962 »

Downloaded and installed fine.
The system Clean took way longer than V6 did, but was still only 4 minutes. The fix was fast.
Is it documented that in System Cleaner results, you can right click on a line and 'Open File Path' among other options?
Could we see the size of the space the clean up is going to free? (just a nice to have).

Win 10, I7-11700k, RTX 2080Super
siliconman01
Expert user

Post by siliconman01 »

Installed and ran okay on Windows 10x64 Pro 21H1 19043.1202 and also on Windows 11x64 Pro Build 22000.184. System Cleaner scan seems a bit slower that Build 1216.
Platinum VIP License. A clean machine is a screaming machine! Windows 10x64 Pro on Home-built ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Extreme; Windows 11x64 Pro on Dell XPS 15 9575 2in1 laptop/tablet
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

siliconman01 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:54 am Installed and ran okay on Windows 10x64 Pro 21H1 19043.1202 and also on Windows 11x64 Pro Build 22000.184. System Cleaner scan seems a bit slower that Build 1216.
Do you mean the scan phase or the cleaning phase? Also, how substantial is the time difference?

One thing worth noting is that this is a beta version, so it has a lot of debug code enabled. It does not yet represent the full performance of the final version.
siliconman01
Expert user

Post by siliconman01 »

jv16 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:29 pm
siliconman01 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:54 am Installed and ran okay on Windows 10x64 Pro 21H1 19043.1202 and also on Windows 11x64 Pro Build 22000.184. System Cleaner scan seems a bit slower that Build 1216.
Do you mean the scan phase or the cleaning phase? Also, how substantial is the time difference?

One thing worth noting is that this is a beta version, so it has a lot of debug code enabled. It does not yet represent the full performance of the final version.
It's the scan phase. And it is not substantial. I hesitated about even posting about it as I kind of thought it might be related to debug code that you have in the beta version.
Platinum VIP License. A clean machine is a screaming machine! Windows 10x64 Pro on Home-built ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Extreme; Windows 11x64 Pro on Dell XPS 15 9575 2in1 laptop/tablet
redseujac
Super Guru

Post by redseujac »

siliconman01 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:54 am Installed and ran okay on Windows 10x64 Pro 21H1 19043.1202 and also on Windows 11x64 Pro Build 22000.184.
Confirmed here. Seems to run OK on Windows 10x64 Pro 21H1 and also on Windows 11x64 Pro Build 22000.184.

It is also correct that the System Cleaner scan is slower than the previous build. On my system (Windows 11x64Pro Build 22000.184) it's twice as slow ( scan takes 4 min 30 sec). Hopefully it's due to the debug code.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X - Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512 GB - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1080 - Windows 10 Pro (x64) v21H1 - jv16 PT Platinum VIP - Dutch translator jv16 PT - Forum moderator
siliconman01
Expert user

Post by siliconman01 »

Strange Registry Key Detection Error.

I am getting a series of Registry Detections that seem total incorrect. When I attempt to view them in the Registry itself, the keys do not even exist in the registry. Weird!

Debug folder attached.

BTW- I manually checked the registry using Regedit and the keys are non-existent.
Attachments
RegistryKeyError.png
RegistryKeyError.png (76 KiB) Viewed 933 times
Debug.zip
(447.9 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Olyfant22
New user

Post by Olyfant22 »

I want to report that clicking on the image of Uncle KILLER triggered a series of nude pictures AND closed everything else in my browser!
So BEWARE, please!
jv16 PT Personal License Platinum VIP (5) on Windows 10 Pro v21H1 (64-bit) x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 [email protected] | Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 6GB | RAM 16GB
Olyfant22
New user

Post by Olyfant22 »

My experience with jv16PT BETA 7.0.0.1262:
- uninstalled the last version 6.0.0.1216
- rebooted PC
- installed the new BETA version 7.0.0.1262 --> ca. 40 sec.
- 'normal' startup --> 7.5 sec.
- my Account was empty, had to fill in my credentials (again).

QUESTION: why does the RAM graph show me a different percentage than the written percentage in the middle?

REMARK: characters consist of so-called 'ascenders' and 'descenders', among other characteristics. Throughout the app I noticed that in particular the 'descenders' are partially missing!?

BTW, the coloured progressbar in the statusbar is a modest but nice touch! :D I like it!
Attachments
Remark about the characters.
Remark about the characters.
jv16PT_BETA_Layout characters.jpg (34.31 KiB) Viewed 906 times
Question about the percentile.
Question about the percentile.
jv16PT_BETA_RAM graph.jpg (25.75 KiB) Viewed 906 times
jv16 PT Personal License Platinum VIP (5) on Windows 10 Pro v21H1 (64-bit) x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 [email protected] | Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 6GB | RAM 16GB
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

Olyfant22 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:03 pm I want to report that clicking on the image of Uncle KILLER triggered a series of nude pictures AND closed everything else in my browser!
So BEWARE, please!
There does not seem to be anything wrong with the link he included. I would recommend you to run an anti-virus product in your system, as there might be something hijacking your browser.
redseujac
Super Guru

Post by redseujac »

jv16 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:17 am
Olyfant22 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:03 pm I want to report that clicking on the image of Uncle KILLER triggered a series of nude pictures AND closed everything else in my browser!
So BEWARE, please!
There does not seem to be anything wrong with the link he included. I would recommend you to run an anti-virus product in your system, as there might be something hijacking your browser.
Also on my system there's something wrong with that link. It's not a good nor safe practice to place graphics here linking to other sites. It's even not necessary because you can include the picture directly in the thread without any need of other sites I think.

As a moderator of this forum I think it's best to remove the post to prevent possible harm.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X - Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512 GB - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1080 - Windows 10 Pro (x64) v21H1 - jv16 PT Platinum VIP - Dutch translator jv16 PT - Forum moderator
siliconman01
Expert user

Post by siliconman01 »

The System Cleaner is creating multiple System Restore points during the cleaning process.
Attachments
Debug.zip
(444.84 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
SystemRestore.png
SystemRestore.png (67.87 KiB) Viewed 847 times
Uncle KILLER
New user

Post by Uncle KILLER »

Hello! And how can I insert a picture in my message here on the Forum? :roll:

In the FAQ, this text: Can I post images??
Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.

How do I ask the administrator to allow me to attach pictures to my message?