jv16 PowerTools 2013 Release Candidate 1

Discussion about possible ongoing beta testing programs.
jv16
Developer

jv16 PowerTools 2013 Release Candidate 1

Post by jv16 »

Here is the RC1 of jv16 PowerTools 2013:
(version no longer available for download)

Please read the following before downloading

Please, please please do remember that this is Release Candidate level software. This means that this version has been made available for testing purposes. The idea is, that people try the software out and give us feedback on what parts of the program still need some fine tuning. This version may still contain bugs and can potentially damage your computer and cause hair loss.

It is not recommended to run this software in work or production use computer, and whatever you do, always create a system backup before running beta level software. If you do not do so, please do not complain to us about it.

As always, we will give out free licenses to the best beta testers. If such a beta tester already owns a license we can also issue VIP and Platinum VIP packages for free, or other similar prizes for the trouble.

However, you are not entitled for any kind of free license by simply downloading these beta versions and reporting that all is fine. Free licenses are given out only to beta testers who give us valuable feedback, such as bug reports or improvement ideas. We will publish the list of users who won a free license after the final version of the product has been released, not before. All free licenses are decided on case-by-case, sometimes it takes just one message with two lines to earn a license (e.g. if you found a really good bug that no one else reported), sometimes it takes much more.

How to send your feedback
* Please use the Post Reply button of this thread for all feedback.
* If you are reporting a bug, please give as much information as possible in regards what steps are required to reproduce the problem. Also let us know what version of Windows you are using. There is no need to post the hardware configuration of your computer, unless asked.
* If you wish to report that you have tested all the features of the program, please include to your post the Debug Report as generated by the Program Debug Tool (under the Debug menu of the Main Window).
* You can send attachments, including screenshots, to the thread from the Post Reply > Upload attachment tab (below the main text area). To attach the DebugLog.html file, you need to zip it up first.
* If you are reporting a bug that is not obvious, please include the Debug Log to your report. Note: the Debug Log contains information about your computer, if you do not wish other users to see all this information, you can use the Private Messages feature to send the Debug Log to us.
* If you are reporting a False Positive by the Registry Cleaner (or by "Clean and fix my computer" tool), there is no need to send a Debug Log, this version does not have debug log enabled for the Registry Cleaner to show its true performance. To report a False Positive, simply send a Screenshot of the False Positive, and say what settings of the Registry Cleaner you are using.
* You can also send you general feedback, how you feel the program works for you or if there is something you don't understand, or if some feature doesn't work the way you expected. Feedback like this is sometimes even more valuable than bug reports.

Release Notes:
* You can start to translate this version to your language.
* Do not install this version over any existing version of PowerTools. If you do, strange things can unfold.

What's New (compared to PowerTools 2012)
1. New tool: Decrap My Computer. This tool allows you to perform an automated mass uninstallation of all the (selected) third party software from your computer. One way to use this tool is to uninstall and remove all the bloatware software that ship with brand new computers nowdays.
2. New, 7th generation registry cleaning engine which combines amazing performance with unbeaten accuracy.
3. New software uninstallation engine that is faster, more accurate and supports the uninstallation of many software in a row. The engine can execute the uninstaller of the given software, automatically click its buttons to select the uninstallation options and after it has finished, the jv16 PowerTools uses its custom uninstallation engine to double check the software's own uninstaller didn't miss anything.
4. Major performance improvements to the entire product.
5. Automatic user interface mode selection. The Quick Tutorial will now guess based on the software installed to your computer whether you are an "advanced" or "normal" user, this guess is then used as the default setting in the Quick Tutorial window. Before, the default mode was always normal and everyone who wanted to use the advanced user interface with all the possible features and options available, had to check that.

jv16 PowerTools 2013 ChangeLog (compared to Beta 6)

Code: Select all

Bug fix: Unit Tester's TestStringToolsEx shows errors.
Bug fix: Registry Compactor is not fully compatible with Windows 8.
Bug fix: When the program starts, the program's main icon can be incorrect for a split second.
Bug fix: Decrap my Computer can list Windows related Start menu shortcuts to be removed under Windows XP.
Bug fix: Registry Compactor fails to compact some registry hives in some systems.
Bug fix: The program's main icon doesn't show in Windows XP.
Bug fix: When attempting to start the Decrap my Computer in fully automatic mode, the screen can be flooded with confirmation boxes if user takes too long time to read the first one.
Bug fix: Uninstalling specific kind of software with the Software Uninstaller (or Decrap my Computer) fails even as the program says the uninstallation was done.
Bug fix: Decrap my Computer can start in a way it's impossible to click the Next button.
Bug fix: The program can create an incorrect backup for special registry data types.
Bug fix: Registry Information tool's 32 bit view remains empty on a 64 bit system.
Bug fix: Quick Tutorial can use a lot of cpu time even if you are not doing anything with it.

Improvement: The following translations included: Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, German, Hungarian, Polish, Swedish, Russian
Improvement: Added more instructions to some texts of the English.lng to help the translators to understand the context better.
Improvement: Registry Compactor will no longer show the Size After column if run in Windows 7 or 8, since it is not in use when in these OS.
Improvement: Software Uninstaller (and Decrap my Computer) can now perform a more accurate software uninstallation.
Improvement: Added support for flick scrolling to the tab control.
Improvement: Product translations are now downloaded from the server, this ensures you always get the latest version of the translation and also reduces the size of the installer.

And remember, please send all your feedback regarding this version to this thread! Thank you!
jv16
Developer

Re: jv16 PowerTools 2013 Release Candidate 1

Post by jv16 »

If you want to translate the program to your language, please download:
http://www.macecraft.com/downloads/beta ... onpack.zip

It contains:
* The latest version of all the existing translations for the product which need to be now updated.
* The final English.lng for reference
* New version of the TransFileHelper application to help you to update any previous version of any translation to be compatible with the PowerTools 2013

Please send all your translations to [email protected]
genegold
New user

Post by genegold »

Two problems:

1) After initial install, I didn't realize the program was still open and so opened a second and got an error box when trying to proceed with the rest. Then I chose the close option and ran the other one. That would have seemed to settle it, but after finishing the complete install and answering yes to running the program, it again said that there was another copy open. Closed the one I'm looking at, checked (Win 8) Task Mgr and there was nothing there.

2) Ran Reg Cleaner and Start Menu Tool. They ran fine and quickly. However, both results showed more errors than could be seen at once in the small area you give. That means you still haven't fixed this longstanding UI annoyance. How about a results box that automatically expands to show the full results - or can at least be manually expanded to show all the results at once (within reason, of course)??
jv16PT 2013 RC reg cleaner results.jpg
jv16PT 2013 RC reg cleaner results.jpg (55.12 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
jv16PT 2013 RC start menu results.jpg
jv16PT 2013 RC start menu results.jpg (72.4 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
Last edited by genegold on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vasek
Advanced User

Post by Vasek »

jv16 wrote:If you want to translate the program to your language, please download:

It contains:
* The latest version of all the existing translations for the product which need to be now updated.
* New version of the TransFileHelper application to help you to update any previous version of any translation to be compatible with the PowerTools 2013

The English.lng in "Languages" folder is different.

Which the English.lng is correct?
Czech translator of jv16 PowerTools
Vasek
Advanced User

Post by Vasek »

From beta6:
redseujac wrote:
Vasek wrote: 1st Tools menu -> "Add shortcut to Desktop for" does not work for Decrap my Computer.

2nd Settings -> "Integration with Windows" tab -> "Icons in Desktop" and "Icons in start menu", I check Decrap my computer - no icons.
Confirmed here.
This is valid also for RC1.
Vasek
Advanced User

Post by Vasek »

Secunia PSI is still not listed in RC 1 (It is listed in Programs and Features in Windows: see a picture below).
Zipped Software.log is attached.

FYI: I report this for a third time - no response. I'm tired of this.
Attachments
Secunia.jpg
Secunia.jpg (16.7 KiB) Viewed 4418 times
Software.zip
(14.7 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Last edited by Vasek on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Leonardo
Guru

Post by Leonardo »

Vasek wrote:
A reproducible crash. Steps to reproduction:

1st Run PowerTools
2nd Run License tool
3rd Click on the Close button
4th Close PowerTools
5th The crash
Confirmed for RC1 with W7-x64, zipped Debuglog is attached.
Attachments
AV_LicenseTool.zip
(9.87 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
siliconman01
Expert user

Post by siliconman01 »

On performing a complete uninstall of jv16 Beta6 and then rebooting, there were three folders that were not deleted by the uninstaller of jv16. See the pic. I am assuming that RC1 will leave these same folders on a complete uninstall. This is on Windows 8 x64 Professional
Platinum VIP License. A clean machine is a screaming machine! Windows 10x64 Pro on Home-built ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Extreme; Windows 11x64 Pro on Dell XPS 15 9575 2in1 laptop/tablet; Windows 11x64 Pro on Dell XPS 8940SE
jv16
Developer

Post by jv16 »

Vasek wrote:
jv16 wrote:If you want to translate the program to your language, please download:

It contains:

The English.lng in "Languages" folder is different.

Which the English.lng is correct?
The English.lng in the Languages folder is always the latest. However, the changes compared to the English.lng in the zip are very minor.
siliconman01
Expert user

Post by siliconman01 »

On a small screen such as on the MS Surface Pro tablet (with Windows 8 x64 Professional), the submenu showing all the available desktop icons is not fully accessible because the submenu is not scrollable. The attached picture illustrates what I am trying to explain; however, the picture is off my desktop PC because my tablet does not have SnagIt on it to generate the picture.
Platinum VIP License. A clean machine is a screaming machine! Windows 10x64 Pro on Home-built ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Extreme; Windows 11x64 Pro on Dell XPS 15 9575 2in1 laptop/tablet; Windows 11x64 Pro on Dell XPS 8940SE
Vasek
Advanced User

Post by Vasek »

Random crash

jv16 PowerTools crashes after exiting the program...
Attachments
debuglogs_randomcrash.zip
(15.95 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
siliconman01
Expert user

Post by siliconman01 »

This is on Windows 7 and Windows 8. As you can see from the attached picture, the desktop shortcuts and tool shortcuts are almost ALL using the jv16 main program icon. This applies to desktop shortcuts and Start Menu shortcuts.
Vasek
Advanced User

Post by Vasek »

Leonardo wrote:
Vasek wrote:
A reproducible crash. Steps to reproduction:

1st Run PowerTools
2nd Run License tool
3rd Click on the Close button
4th Close PowerTools
5th The crash
Confirmed for RC1 with W7-x64, zipped Debuglog is attached.
Not confirmed for RC1 with Vista SP2 - x86
Vasek
Advanced User

Post by Vasek »

File Tool

A repeated encryption does not work properly. Steps to reproduction:

1st Encrypt a file (check "Also encrypt the file name" checkbox),

2nd Decrypt the file (in the same session of the tool) - the file name on the list is not displayed correctly, but it is only a graphical issue - the file name is decrypt in fact.

3rd Encrypt the same file again (in the same session) - the error: "Failed to access to the file".

In the same session of the tool:
4th Encrypt another file. The previous decrypted file disappeared from the list...

Zipped Debuglog.html is attached.

I report this for a third time - no response. I'm tired of this. Is it something not understandable?
Attachments
jv16PT_debuglog_RC1_encryption.zip
(15.02 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Last edited by Vasek on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vasek
Advanced User

Post by Vasek »

From Beta6:
Vasek wrote:File Tool

The new added "All" preference (in the File Tool: Columns -> Date) does not work properly with many (thousands) files. Try it with default settings.
This is still valid for RC1.
Zipped Debuglog.html is attached.
Attachments
jv16PT_debuglog_RC_preference_all.zip
(134.4 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Last edited by Vasek on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.